Best Paper and Poster Award
May 4, 2013
by Hugh Davis
The best paper and poster awards were announced on May 3rd.
The best paper award, selected by the program committee, was jointly awarded to:
Catherine C. Marshall and Frank M. Shipman: Experiences Surveying the Crowd: Reflections on methods, participation, and reliability
Bernhard Rieder: Studying Facebook via Data Extraction: The Netvizz Application
The best poster, which was chosen by crowd sourcing, was:
Terhi Nurmikko, Jacob Dahl, Kirk Martinez and Graeme Earl. Web Science for Ancient History: Deciphering Proto-Elamite Online
Other papers that were nominated for best paper were:
• Marie Joan Kristine Gloria, Dominic Difranzo, Marco Fernando Navarro and Jim Hendler. The Performativity of Data: Re-conceptualizing the Web of Data
• Gloria Origgi, Trust, Networks and Democracy in the Age of Internet
• Frank Shipman & Cathy Marshall: Are User-contributed Reviews Community Property? Exploring the Beliefs and Practices of Reviewers
• Nana Baah Gyan, Victor de Boer, Anna Bon, Chris van Aart, Stephane Boyera, Hans Akkermans, Mary Allen, Aman Grawal and Max Froumentin.: Voice-based Web access in rural Africa
• Harry Halpin: Does The Web Extend The Mind?
• Fabian Eikelboom, Paul Groth and Laura Hollink: A comparison between online and offline prayer
These awards were sponsored by Now publishers.